Sunday, December 6, 2020

Advent Week 2: Sunday - (Listen) - Heed - Forsake

 

Morning clouds behind the black shapes of bare trees

"Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins..."

To know what the warnings are for me, Lord, I need to listen, not just read, but LISTEN. I cannot heed, I cannot forsake until I understand what the warnings are and what I need to change. Listening is key. I am very good at reading, research, building lists, thinking of all the things I need to stop, or start, or change. I can prioritize them this way and that. I can build a Sunday Top Five, then on Monday prioritize again to get a new Top Five.

I need You, Lord. Not just listening to the latest preaching, wonderful hymns, guidance from those I report to, and listening to those I love... All of these are important and provide good input, but they are not the key. The key for me is to listen to You, to make time every day and listen. You know me, are always there, have been with me since I was born. You Love me and know me. You know what is best for me. When I listen to You, Lord, I must trust, trust in two ways:

  • First: That you DO know what is right
  • Second: That when I hear You incorrectly, or interpret what you say to my advantage (oh yes, I will do both of those) You are right there with me, ready to forgive me and for me try again...
A Prayer: I praise and thank You for my life with you. Please give me the patience to make time, be quiet, and listen for You. Once I have heard You, give me the courage to forsake my sins and do what You have called me to do. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for continuing - it gets better and better. Listening to God: one could write about that forever. I just finished a short article by Pope Francis about the benefit of his being "exiled" by his Jesuit province to one of their remote houses in Argentina after he had been leader both as head of the province and of one of their more important houses. Jesuit politics had had enough of his style for a while, so they "exiled" him to a "nowhere" position. He had plenty of time to pray and read and do some spiritual direction. He is grateful for it today. Hopefully I can be graced by the Spirit to see God's working in unlikely places in my life. "I will lead the blind on their journey, by ways unknown I will guide them" (Isaiah 42,16) Steve