Thursday, December 3, 2020

Advent Week 1: Thursday - Rebuild

 

St. George's Annunciation stained glass window.

Is this the year to rebuild? Rebuild is a big word and means many things. Rebuilding takes time, effort, commitment, and resources. We can renew, we can repair, but sometimes we choose to rebuild. We can rebuild houses, engines, relationships, trust, even lives. 

Advent is our time of anticipation and waiting. We pause and consider what the birth of our Lord means to us and for us. It is the beginning of a new year. In this year of COVID we may be especially anxious, we may wonder if we have time and energy for renewal or repair, let alone rebuilding since so much of our time, our life, is simply taking care of every day so we can get to whatever is next.

Advent is also a time of discernment and stepping out boldly. Remember Mary, she stepped out boldly when she said, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” (Luke 1:38, NRSV) Just as advent is only the beginning of our glorious church year, our discernment now is just the beginning of the next part of our life with the Lord!

Even if this year is not the right time for that major rebuild, even if all we accomplish is minor repairs and renewal, may we remember our Lord is always with us, listening, waiting, and loving. And go read ahead just a little in Luke 1, check out verses 46-55 and hear Mary’s response to her child leaping in her womb…

A Prayer: Lord thank you for today and this Advent season. Be with me as I discern, once again, what you are calling me to. If this is the time for rebuilding, guide me, hold me, carry me when I am afraid. But whatever time it is, may my life be yours, just as Mary’s life is yours… Amen.

(Originally posted by Saint George's Episcopal Church as part of their "Virtual Advent Calendar 2020" project on Thursday 03-Dec-2020. See the complete calendar at https://www.saintgeorgeschurch.org/2020-virtual-advent-calendar

No comments: