Monday, December 7, 2020

Advent Week 2: Monday - "Your Messengers the prophets preach..."

Forest path with at sunrise


"...your messengers the prophets to preach repentance and prepare the way..."

Being a "typical" mainline church goer and not a Bible scholar, I do not have an encyclopedic knowledge of the prophets in the Bible. Curious, I checked and found eighteen prophets listed under the heading "The Prophetic Books" in my copy of The New Oxford Annotated Bible. But I do keep trying. Today the reading was from Isaiah (Isaiah 5:8-23, specifically.) I read of coming punishment, drunkenness, the inability distinguish right from wrong... In just this short section of one prophet I find so many ways I feel I don't measure up.

Perhaps I am really getting too far in the weeds here. The big picture I see is that You, God, worked hard to provide us with an understanding of how we fail and what You expect of us. We didn't listen to the Prophets so now you sent Your Son Jesus to speak and be among us...

A Prayer: Give me the will to keep following Your path, even when I want to give up. Help me to keep reading regularly, and not lose heart when the path gets steep. Amen.

No comments: