Friday, February 6, 2015

Feb 6 - A Prayer When I Am Up To My Neck

Save me, O God, *
for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire, *
and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters, *
and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
my throat is inflamed; *
my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Psalm 69:1-4
God, please be with me when this is how I feel. On those days, keep me safe so I get to the other side of my pain and frustration so I can again praise you and thank you.

[and here are the other two quotes I read today...]
...we control our tongues and remain silent, not speaking unless asked a question...
Benedict's Rule 7:57 (Chittister, Pg. 93)
Benedict says, over and over, listen learn, be open to the other. That is the ground of humility.
Chittister, Pg. 94

A Note To Anyone Reading:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book.
Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: