Monday, February 16, 2015

Feb 16 - Daily Reminders

Show me your ways, O Lord, *
and teach me your paths.
Psalm 25:3
...the celebration of Lauds and Vespers must never pass by without the prioress or abbot reciting the entire Prayer of Jesus at the end for all to hear, because thorns of contention are likely to spring up.
Benedict's Rule 13:12 (Chittister, Pg. 113)
Benedictine prayer is not an escape into a contrived or arcane life. It is prayer intended to impel us through the cold, hard realities of life in the home, life in the community, life in the world, life with people...
Chittister, Pg. 115
My life is not the "pink cloud" of ease and play and joyful wandering without care that I still so often dream of. I have chosen to take on responsibilities and to interact with people. While many days are are well filled with wonder and adventure, some days I feel trapped while other days I just wish for more. It is good to hear that I am not alone in needing to be shown and taught. Benedict knew we were subject to this and adds the Lord's Prayer at the beginning and the end of the day. Sister Joan points out how Benedict's list of Psalms said in the morning reflects this need.

I am glad to be reminded often that I am much like others, in need of teaching and pattern. In need of reminders and support. While I do not read all the Psalms each week (my pattern uses the Morning and Evening Prayer rotation in the Episcopal Prayer Book to read the Psalms in a 7 week cycle) I do well when I remember to pray the Lord's Prayer daily, remembering that I must be forgiven, and that I must forgive...

A Note To Anyone Reading:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book.Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.
Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: