Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Feb 25 - Just Do It

Teach me discernment and knowledge, *
for I have believed in your commandments.
Psalm 119:66
We must know that God regards our purity of heart and tears of compunction, not our many words.
Benedict's Rule 20:3 (Chittister, Pg. 132)
...not long hours spent in chapel but a lifetime lived in the Spirit of God...
Chittister, Pg. 133
My day is not in the chapel. It is among people. It is out doing the work God has for me to do. It is my letting go of what I want to do and doing what needs to be done. I am brought back to my life being a prayer. I am reminded that I am not to avoid work, not to avoid relationships, not hide in my prayer, but to be fully present doing the work that God has for me to do.

A Note To Readers:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book.
Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

No comments: