Sunday, February 22, 2015

Feb 22 - Delivered and Saved Daily

My soul clings to you; *
your right hand holds me fast.
Psalm 63:8
In this way, Psalm 119 will always begin on Sunday.
Benedict's Rule 18:11 (Chittister, Pg. 125)
They repeat the same messages over and over ... every day of their lives the monastic hears the same message: God delivers us, God is our refuge, God will save us from those who seek to destroy us, God will bring us home.
Chittister, Pg. 125
Benedict repeats Psalms 120-128 daily for five days a week, using the other two days to read Psalm 119. Every week. Benedict repeats all the Psalms weekly, but Psalms 120-128 are repeated daily Tuesday through Saturday. Sister Joan points out these nine Psalms repeat that God is calling us, caring for us, bringing us home.

I don't know about others, but for me regular repetition is necessary. I don't usually get it on the first try. I need the message that God delivers us, is our refuge, that God will save us, bring us home. If I don't read this regularly, if I don't pray daily, if I don't see God reaching for me I either think I have the power to save myself, or I forget I need to be saved.

It is good to be reminded, and good to be in a community...

A Note To Readers:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book.
Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: