Saturday, February 14, 2015

Feb 14 - Consistency and Change

Before the mountains were brought fourth,
or the land and the earth were born, *
from age to age you are God.
Psalm 90:2
Sunday Lauds begin with Psalm 66, said straight through without a refrain.
Benedict's Rule, 12:1 (Chittister, Pg. 110)
The point is that every life needs points along the way that enable to rise above the petty daily problems...and begin again...
Chittister, Pg. 111
I need patterns in my life. I need to be willing to break and re-establish patterns in my life. For me, patterns, new patterns, and change thrive within constants. Constants like knowing that God is always with me. This is like the mountains and land -- rarely do I see mountains or hills change , but trees and plants are a different story. I liken the breaks in the patterns of my life to when my father changed the location of his garden. At one time it was down the road, the other side of our neighbor's house. Then he changed to having the garden in our yard. Having the garden was constant, the location changed.

Another constant is worship with my church community on Sunday. As a Christian, Sunday worship is a key part of my life, like the unchanging mountains. My specific patterns change, but the call to worship in my church on Sunday doesn't change, it is always there calling me, giving me a place to begin again.

A Note To Anyone Reading:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book.Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.
Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: