Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Feb 3 - In Silence My Soul Waits

For God alone my soul in silence waits; *
truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, *
my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
Psalm 62:6-7
The sixth step of humility is that we are content with the lowest and most menial treatment...
Benedict's Rule 4:49 (Chittister, Pg. 89)
If we can learn to love life where we are, in what we have, then we will have room in our souls for what life alone does not have to offer.
Chittister, Pg. 90
Today I find some of my favorite verses in the Psalms. "For God alone my soul in silence waits..." The quiet chapel at St. Mary's Monastery in Petersham Massachusetts early in the morning, just before  Vigils begins at 5:00 AM or a mountain field in Shenandoah National Park or perhaps just a quiet corner in my house. Really, any place I am able to sit quietly and let go the busyness of my day. I become aware of God all around me. Holding these times in my memory is like the rock that keeps me from being shaken, it becomes my stronghold when the world is anything but quiet,...

Again I say: "For God alone my soul in silence waits..." Come wait with me.

A Note To Anyone Reading:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book.
Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: