Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Jan 7 - A School for God's Service

Therefore we intend to establish a school for God's service. ... It is bound to be narrow at the outset.
Prologue:45, 48b (Chittister, Pg 21)

Bless the Lord, all you his hosts, *
you ministers of his who do his word.
Psalm 103:21
Sr. Joan Chittister adds "The spiritual life is not something that is gotten for the wishing or assumed by affectation. The spiritual life takes discipline..." (Pg 21) So true. I find my discipline lacks some of the time. This "school" where I discern a possible new aspect of my ministry excites me exactly because of my lack of discipline, the need for the narrowness at the outset becomes obvious! And I am doing it with others! I have a community that shares frustrations AND GROWTH.

I want growth, I do not want to be stagnant, to keep from being challenged, to stay the same as I was yesterday. I need the discipline I expect to find in being part of this group, discipline to help me through the days when I am tired, when challenges hurt, when being just the same person I was yesterday or last week feels like the easier way...

A Note To Anyone Reading:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, Crossroads, 2010. Unless stated otherwise I am using the translation St. Benedict's Rule from her book. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading Ms. Chittister's book and to anyone that is interested.

Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: