Thursday, January 1, 2015

Jan 1st: Not Ease, But Comfort...


The labor of obedience will bring you back to God from whom you had drifted...
The Rule of Benedict. Prologue:2 (From J. Chittister, The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, pg 3)


I drift. I look forward to return. Is it easy? Not always.

In my blog yesterday (Dec 31, 2014) I shared I am not feeling the same balance I have previously, and that I miss that balance. As I read Joan Chittister's reflections in The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century (Crossroads, 2010) I come across a number of nuggets that speak to me:

  • We begin to grow when we finally want to grow
  • We cannot be our own guides
  • The person who prays for the presence of God is, ironically, already in the presence of God
  • We come to realize that we did not find God; God finally got our attention
  • God is the only lifeline that life guarantees us
Today I see comfort. Not ease, but comfort. I need to labor, but as Ms. Chittister reflects, simply starting to let God in is part of the answer.

A Note To Anyone Reading:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, Crossroads, 2010. Unless stated otherwise I will be using the translation St. Benedict's Rule from that book. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading Ms. Chittister's book and to anyone that is interested.

Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

1 comment:

Elliott B Branch said...

A wise choice of words. The etymology of comfort:
late 13c., from O.Fr. conforter "to comfort, help, strengthen," from L.L. confortare "to strengthen much" (used in Vulgate), from L. com- intens. prefix + fortis "strong."

Walking back to God requires strength, strength to overcome what caused us to stray in the first place. Fortunately, that strength comes through His grace. Happy New Year and know you're not walking back alone.