Friday, January 2, 2015

Jan 2 - Run Toward the Light

The righteous cry, and the Lord hears them *
and delivers them from all their troubles.
Psalm 34:17 (The Book of Common Prayer, 1979, The Episcopal Church)
Let us open our eyes to the light that comes from God
RoB Prologue:2 (The Rule of Benedict, a Spirituality for the 21st Century, Chittister

Today I think about running toward the light. Toward, not completely in the light. Yesterday, as I thought about this commitment to reading the Rule (and reading psalms in the morning and evening) I was thinking I would read the Rule early in the morning, and since I am on vacation I would spend extra time meditating on what I read, then put together a short blog entry and be done by breakfast. It didn't happen that way.

The actual day has been great. I slept in, had breakfast with my wife, spent time at Great Falls Park where I took a "sort of annual" beginning of the year self-portrait, paid bills, and helped my son and grandson grocery shopping. Now, at the end of the afternoon I finally sat down, read the morning Psalm, the portion of St. Benedict's Rule often read on Jan 2nd and Joan Chittister's reflection.

But God is with me. And has been with me. I haven't forgotten, the light is around me even if I don't feel it. Of that I am sure.

A Note To Anyone Reading:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, Crossroads, 2010. Unless stated otherwise I will be using the translation St. Benedict's Rule from her book. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading Ms. Chittister's book and to anyone that is interested.

Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: