Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Jan 6 - We Cannot, But With God We Can

What is not possible to us by nature, let us ask the Holy One to supply by the help of grace.
Prologue:41 (Chittister, Pg 19)

"Be still, then, and know that I am God"
Psalm 46:11a
I cannot do it. I forget one of the morning tasks at work. My boss still needs to remind me of the item I committed to finishing. I expect my spouse to be there after my hard day forgetting about her hard day. And then I remember I have given my life to God. Benedict's Rule and the psalm I read put it all together: My nature fails, the Holy One supplies grace. I can simply be still and know that God is with me.

Over the rest of this four month cycle we will read in the Rule and Ms. Chittister's reflections different ways of seeing and living this same truth. We are in this together, and not just us, God is with us. As are all the others that read these passages and the scriptures on a daily basis. We build a community where we can help each other, and all people, to experience the grace of the Holy One.

A Note To Anyone Reading:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, Crossroads, 2010. Unless stated otherwise I am using the translation St. Benedict's Rule from her book. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading Ms. Chittister's book and to anyone that is interested.

Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: