Monday, January 26, 2015

Jan 26 - Steeped In God

In my integrity you hold me fast, *
and shall set me before your face for ever.
Psalm 41:12
The first step of humility, then, is that we keep "the reverence for God always before our eyes" and never forget it.
Benedict's Rule 7:20 (Chittister, Pg. 79)
...being sinless is not enough. Being steeped in the mind of God is most important.
Chittister, Pg. 80
But just how do I keep the "reverence for God always before" my eyes? I cannot keep a crucifix on the windshield when I drive, for example, nor can I quote (at least directly) from the Bible in most of the meetings I am in...

Living my life respecting others, working to speak less and listen more, viewing the stranger as if they might be Christ just might lead to a life where I am reverencing God even when I am not consciously trying. Perhaps this is a start.

A Note To Anyone Reading:


This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading Ms. Chittister's book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book.Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

Comments are welcome, and encouraged, please use the blog comment feature.

No comments: