Monday, March 9, 2015

Mar 9 - Largesse of Spirit

Restore us, O Lord God of hosts; *
show the light of your countenance and we shall be saved.
Psalm 80:18
Above all, let the cellarer be humble.
Benedict's Rule 31:13 (Chittister, Pg. 162)
The person with a Benedictine tenor learns here to err on the side of largesse of spirit.
Chittister, Pg. 163
Do I show largesse of spirit? Why yes, of course I do! Really, all the time? Well, err, no...

I can be quick in my response, resenting interruptions and changes in "my" plans. I am lucky that I live and work with patient companions and coworkers. And I am blessed by the Lord God who knows I will fail and provides grace and forgiveness when I (finally) realize what I have done and ask...

A Note To Readers:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book. Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

No comments: