Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mar 19 - Acid?

You know my reproach, my shame, and my dishonor; *
my adversaries are all in your sight.
Psalm 69:21
Above all else we admonish them to refrain from grumbling...
Benedict's Rule 40:9 (Chittister, Pg. 190)
Complaining is the acid that shrivels our own souls and the soul of the community around us as well.
Chittister, Pg. 190
Grumbling and complaining, who among us hasn't done that at times? But hearing Sister Joan describe it as "acid" is strong indeed. But what happens when constant complaints are bandied about? I certainly don't enjoy that environment. I have been in groups so filled with grumbling, and in the particular case I am thinking of, a grandiose feeling of self-worth, that group progress was squelched for several months.

Lord help me to stop my grumbling and to look for creative and helpful ways of responding.

A Note To Readers:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book. Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

No comments: