Sunday, March 15, 2015

Mar 15 - Into the Snare with Heavy Burdens

You brought us into the snare; *
you laid heavy burdens upon our backs
Psalm 66:10
Care of the sick must rank above and before all else so that they may truly be served as Christ...
Benedict's Rule 36:1 (Chittister, Pg. 174)
How much of our own precious time do we spend on those with little time left?
Chittister, Pg. 176
...Into the snare...heavy burden on our (my) backs...

I have shied away from focusing on passages that I have seen as difficult or hard to hear recently, but today this passage from Psalms puts words to how I feel. I am called out of my comfort zone, I am called away from being placid and being able to sit back and just do what I want (or not do anything...) I am called to actively care for myself and others, and to spend time with God.

This calls me to face what I want to avoid, to take responsibility in my life...

A Note To Readers:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book. Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

No comments: