Friday, March 27, 2015

Mar 27 - Immersed in Prayer and Scripture

They stare and gloat over me; *
they divide my garments among them;
they cast lots for my clothing.
Psalm 22:17
...let this be done with humility, seriousness, and reverence, and at the bidding of the prioress or abbot.
Benedict's Rule 47:4 (Chittister, Pg. 209)
...unless the group becomes more and more immersed in prayer and the Scriptures, giving them priority no matter what the pressures of the day, the group will cease to have any authenticity at all.
Chittister, Pg. 209
Reading the Psalm I think of the casting of lots for Jesus cloak as Jesus is Crucified. Can I live a life that honors Jesus' sacrifice? Do I become immersed in prayer and Scripture? Do I provide needed support as the groups I am in try and immerse the members in prayer and Scripture? Where can I do better?

A Note To Readers:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book. Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

No comments: