Sunday, June 21, 2020

Walking with Fish, Talking with God

My journal is an interesting place. I have kept a journal since an english teacher first had us journal in Junior High School, probably eighth grade when I was thirteen or fourteen. For many years my writing was to some "third party" that might be looking over my shoulder or reading the page many years later when my grandchildren found my journals on some bookshelf... Other times I knew I wrote to myself. Asking about the world, wondering why I am not as good as others, questioning if I am really am doing "God" right, or reminding myself that I am just as important as others... A year or so ago I realized I am talking with God. Actually, in my journal it was more like "Oh, it is You that are with me, looking over my shoulder as I write!"

This made sense as I realized that my childhood friend "Fish" was not imaginary afterall. You see Fish is a Lake sturgeon that stayed with me through thick and thin from some of my first memories of playing outside at three or four until sometime in elementary school. Fish may have walked with me until I realized that I could pray directly to God, perhaps when I realized that Jesus and I share sequential birthdays (mine is Christmas Eve, Jesus' birthday is Christmas day, of course). Sharing sequential birthdays is very precious to me, my Christmas Eve birthday ends when I am at the Christmas service, when Jesus Birthday starts. Just one wonderful two-day holiday! It must be even more precious for those of you that actually share the same birthday! A while ago (maybe when I realized it was God looking over my shoulder) I came to the sure knowledge that Fish was God walking, and talking, with me. Now I realize that talking with God is not something relegated to Prayer time, Church services, or the occasional retreat enlightenment, as wonderful as those all are -- it is something normal, ongoing, daily, "just" a regular occurance between God and me...

I share this for a couple of reasons. First, simply to share a bit more of my spiritual path. This blog is about "Thoughts That Simmered On My Journey" and this is certainly a thought that has been simmering for a bit! But second, to let you know that you, dear reader, are going see posts that are just that, bits of my conversation with God.

A Prayer:
Lord, Thank you for being with me now just as you were when I was young and Fish was my constant companion. Give me the quiet confidence to share all with you and know that you are not only with me, but ready to hold me in your arms, all I need to do is call to you.
Amen.  

Burning candle




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve here.
It takes time for us to realize that behind certain symbols like Fish it is really God who is present (in fact all of creation is charged with the presence of God, if we are able to see). Thanks for sharing your experience of "seeing through" the Fish experience. God really is not "out there" and not "inside each of us" . God is everywhere: God's center is everywhere and God's circumference is nowhere. (forget who first said that).