Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Joy of Where I Am


Panoramic view of Mather Gorge on the Potomac River in Great Falls Park
Potomac River from the River Trail

Today I returned to Great Falls Park on the Potomac River. With the Covid-19 restrictions and staying inside it has been several months since I visited the park and tramped along the river. This morning I experienced a moment of quiet realization that this place is one of the joys of where I am. I expect that I am like many others thinking I spend a great deal of time "taking care of what needs to be taken care of." You know, work and commuting, groceries and meals, washing the clothes, national and local politics, family and friends... But this is not that. This is one of those stable places where I am called to let all that go and just spend time with God.

As Benedictines we are called to stability. Those that join monasteries and take vows have the stability of place in their monastery home, their cloister, and their garden. As an Oblate I don't live within the monastery, but I do have the stability of place and home. The trails and parks along the Potomac and the streams and canals that join the Potomac have become the garden within my extended monastery. Great Falls itself is a one of the centers in this monastery garden. Here I have taken  first hikes with my grandchildren, even before they could walk. Here I took my last hike with my beloved Uncle Father Tom. I ponder the fact I never had the chance to hike with my Dad here. Nearly thirty-five years after I arrived and thirty-four years after Dad died it is a place where I still come to terms with his death, and Death.

Here I have a stable place where God pushes forward just enough so that I stop and listen, where I can let go for a just a bit and where God is "taking care of what needs to be taken care of."

A Prayer: 
God, you are with me. Your name endures forever, Your name continues like the sun. You remain with me as the clouds and rivers come and go. May I remember I am blessed by You, as all are blessed. May I always call You blessed. 
Amen.

Looking upstream from overlook 1 in Great Falls park.
Great Falls with Morning Clouds


The Potomac River flowing past tree covered cliffs
Flowing Potomac

The Potomac River flowing through Mather Gorge with trees on the cliffs
Mather Gorge






No comments: