Sunday, June 7, 2020

Fountains, Light, and Life

For with you is the fountain of life,
and in your light we see light
Psalm 36:10 (RGP)
Sometimes the fountain is like a smooth stream gently cascading into a quiet pool. Other times the fountain is more like the wild roaring falls after violent storms or the melt-water of a hot sunny spring day. This past week while I have been searching for the smooth streams and quiet pools, life around me is a wild, roaring, stormy torrent. I am whipped by the Black Lives Matter events after yet another black death at the hands of the police, the arguments about wearing masks and opening businesses in the Covid-19 days, the differences in political points of view between our leaders and in our nation.

Yesterday our Church Men's group met via web conference. We spent over an hour checking in and being socially close in the physical distance that is called for at this time. After hearing from all we briefly focused on race in our nation. As twelve men from a reasonably liberal main-line (mostly white) church we had much similarity in our thoughts and opinions, but only when mostly out of time did we realize we had so many thoughts and ideas for next steps, ultimate solutions, and how we think. God's light came as we focused our last few minutes remembering that our Church, Faith, and Lord are here, like the fountain and pool, providing water and light as we move forward.

Pondering the fountain of life, and this week the raging waters of action, despair, and ultimately hope became linked in my mind to the story of Peter walking on the water, becoming frightened, and our Lord's reaching out to Peter and guiding him to the calm of the boat (Matthew 14:28-32, NRSV.) It leaves me asking how often do I start with innocent trust that fails me in the turbulence of life.

A Prayer:
God, thank you for being with me when I don't see the fountain, the light, or the path forward. Help me to trust and remember I can call out, as Peter did as he was sinking in the sea, "Lord, save me!" Amen.
The sun shining through a fountain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve here
Thank God we are sinners (EAster vigil: felix culpa, o happy fault which brought us a savior)
which reminds me of the delusion of the Pharisee (inside of me)
listening to a good presentation on racism this morning reminds me that part of my disability as a white person in America is that I think I am different, entitled - not a poor sinner any more, grateful, but rather better than some others who have to say "have mercy on me a sinner". Which I forget over and over and over again - In sin my mother conceived me (psalm 50/51)