Sunday, May 3, 2020

St. Philip's Belmont - Mourning, Yet Thank You! (From 2019)

Today, May 3rd 2020 I realized I had never posted this item regarding the deconsecration of St. Phillips Church in Belmont New York. I share it now noting it is a year past already...

Here is the original post from May 19th 2019:

Today I realized I am in mourning. Last night I received news that St. Philip's Church in Belmont is being deconsecrated on Tuesday 14-May-2019. While I have been a member of other Episcopal parishes over the years, and a member of my current parish for much longer than I was a member of St. Philip's, St. Philip's holds a special place in my heart and I will miss her.

I was a member of St. Philip's from the end of 6th grade through three year's of college. I learned the traditions and sacraments at St. Philip's. My wife, Patty, and I were married at St. Philip's. My father's funeral was at St. Philip's. My appreciation for the Episcopal tradition and understanding of parish, diocesan, and national Church polity and tradition came out of St. Philip's.

More than just being there, and more than just attending, St. Philip's is a part of my life. My parents were loved and important members as well. My mother, Joanne, was organist for many years and my father, Garrett was warden for many years as well. Long after I left St. Philip's with my family, becoming members of several Episcopal parishes, my parents were there. Our family just simply "always went to church" Sundays in Belmont. No questions, just worship and time with God, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

And it wasn't just being at St. Philip's, it was going to St. Philip's. During most of my high school years, and several years as Patty and I visited our family we drove the fifteen miles from Alfred to Belmont on Sundays, Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning, Easter, Good Friday, all the service days. Most Sundays Mother would read Russel Baker's "Observer" column in The New York Times. As a family we would discuss the life of St. Philip's, the life of the Episcopal Diocese of Rochester and the Episcopal Church.

2 comments:

Seton said...

I had a report that someone was not able to post comments. I am checking from an anonymous post and it looks like it is working properly...

Anonymous said...

Steve here
I read through both, but the St. Philip's touched me. I tend to not esteem the corporeal/physical and give priority to spiritual/intellectual, but the physical remains and your memories of St. Philip's bring out the importance. Because of the experiences of St. Philip's and the memories your spirit is enriched. It should not be either/or (corporal or spiritual) but tends to be so for me too much of the time. The Word became flesh - not pretended to only. Although he was in the form of God he did not cling to that but emptied himself being in the form of a slave. If it was good enough for Jesus, Incarnation God's plan it should be good enough for Steve! No matter how big my narcissism, God remains infinite and capable of encompassing me, beloved sinner that I am. Blessings