Sunday, December 30, 2007

366 Day 87 - "Fear", "anger", and "greed"? In my life?



366 Day 87 - "Fear", "anger", and "greed"? In my life?, originally uploaded by Seton Droppers.

Certainly I have felt the fear, anger, and greed mentioned in Henri Nouwen's book The Way of the Hearth, Connecting With God Through Prayer, Wisdom, and Silence. It took me a long time to realize my life is not going to be as perfect as I wish it to be, that I am likely to be living with aspects of the fear, anger, and greed he mentions for the rest of my life. But by the grace of my Higher Power I can keep getting closer, even if I don't get perfect.

On this journey I draw from resources that include a commentary on the Rule of Benedict titled The Rule of Benedict, Insights For the Ages by Joan D. Chittister, O.S.B., 12 Step literature, the devotional Forward Day By Day by Forward Movement, as well as regular reading of different spiritual books, primarily books on how one can structure life around the Rule of Benedict, even when one is not part of a formal religious community.

I find that by keeping regular quiet moments, listening for God, and this continued reading my life continues to improve. I find it wonderful how all these different sources and resources have fit together. They don't clash, each reinforces the other.

(Reviewed 31-Jan-2022)

No comments: