Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jump-starting and New Year's Resolutions (and God)

The headline "Jumpstart your New Year's resolution" appeared in my email "In" box this morning. What spoke to me wasn't a renewed interest in getting back on the health and wellness site that sent me the email, but more the concept of starting anything at all.

For the first time in several months (OK, since early September) I wrote in my journal this morning, mentioning that life has changed, I have resolved a health issue, that it is a new year, etc. Then, just before I glanced at my email, I began to wonder which little project I should attempt "today". Four came to mind before I could finish writing down the first one, so I captured the first four in my journal and glanced at my email...

No, I don't have a New Year's resolution this year, at least not one that I have written down. I do want to be a good husband, grandpa, and employee. I still love taking walks and taking pictures, but I also find it so easy to read a book or watch a movie for several hours at a time...

As I write this I now remember the missing part: God. God was not in my journal entry either.

Today is the tenth day of remembering Jesus has come into our lives, my life.

No "Jump-Start" needed. Nor some glowing and bouncing New Year's resolution. Just the same old, same old: continue to do the work that God has called me to do, and trust that He will call me, all I need to do is listen...

(Now, where is that pad, I need to write down the shopping list...)

No comments: