Monday, March 30, 2015

Mar 30 - Holy Week Mystery

Purge me from my sin, and I shall be pure; *
Wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Psalm 51:8
Those who are sick or weak should be given a type of work or craft that will keep them busy without overwhelming them or driving them away.
Benedict's Rule 48:24 (Chittister, Pg. 216)
At every stage of our lives, every one of us has a sign of hope and faith and love and commitment to share with the people around us.
Chittister, Pg. 217
Stages of life -- I look with wonder at what is the same and what changes, where I let go and where I don't... 44 years ago I first listened to Jesus Christ Superstar. I was at a place where I was first trying on my own understanding of God's call and first pondering the mystery of Christ's sacrifice and God's salvation. Many Holy Weeks since I still listen to Jesus Christ Superstar, and still fall deeply into the music and words finding yet new meaning in Christ's sacrifice and God's salvation. As I ponder the events of Holy Week I am still amazed at the mystery and wonder of our Lord's precious gift.

A Note To Readers:

This entry is part of a series that is developing as I read The Rule of Benedict, A Spirituality for the 21st Century, Joan Chittister, OSB, Crossroads, 2010. I am offering this both to those at St. George's Episcopal Church, Arlington VA, that may be reading this book and to anyone that is interested.

Unless stated otherwise quotes from St. Benedict's Rule are from the translation in this same book. Psalms are from The Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, 1979 unless otherwise noted.

No comments: